One of the types of degenerative-dystrophic diseases of the intervertebral discs is cervical osteochondrosis, which can be treated at home. The main goal is to complement and strengthen the work of classic treatment methods (drugs, physiotherapy).
Description of the pathology
Symptoms of osteochondrosis of the cervical spine affect several organs and systems at the same time due to the peculiarities of the blood supply and innervation:
- Impaired motor activity in the upper limbs.
- Severe pain syndrome (especially in the acute phase).
- Violation of the visual and auditory system. Tinnitus can occur. A pathological change in blood flow (vertebral artery syndrome) leads to the appearance of "flies" in front of the eyes, to the loss of visual fields.
- Sensory impairment (numbness of the limbs).
- headache (due to hypoxia).
There are several stages in the development of the disease:
- Acute (first 2-3 weeks). Pronounced clinical picture, but minor changes in the osteochondral apparatus.
- Subacute (3-6 weeks). In the clinic, pain remains the main symptom, and signs of bone destruction appear on the pictures.
- Chronic (more than 6 weeks). The clinic shows rare and mild syndromes (painful pain, restricted mobility). The pictures show pronounced changes in the joint surfaces. Intervertebral hernias are common (bone structures become fragile).
Treatment at home
Treatment of cervical osteochondrosis is allowed at home along with other methods of therapy (pills, physiotherapy). As a rule, the effectiveness of alternative treatment is much lower, but numerous repetitions of such courses of treatment are allowed (after 3-4 courses, patients feel relieved).
It is possible to treat cervical osteochondrosis at home, but only if the following conditions are met:
- Stage of compensation or subcompensation (no clinical manifestations or minor).
- Consultation with a doctor (rheumatologist, therapist).
- No allergic reactions to treatment components.
Benefits of home treatment:
- available at any time.
Disadvantages of therapy:
- Incorrect choice of means and, as a result, lack of effectiveness, possible deterioration of the condition.
- Wrong practice.
- Possible worsening of comorbidities through incorrect self-medication tactics.
Complex exercise therapy
Exercise with cervical osteochondrosis should not allow severe pain. Conduct the course exclusively in accordance with the individual abilities of the body from any position (standing, sitting, lying).
The exercises are selected by a specialist.
- head flexion / extension;
- circular head movements;
- turns forwards / backwards, right / left.
Movement therapy, physiotherapy and massage of the neck collar zone are carried out in the complex over several weeks.
One of the options for reflexology with a special plate. It is based on mechanical action on the innervation zones.
This device can be bought in specialized pharmacies and used independently as a massage device.
Rubbing pharmacy products
At the moment there are a large number of pharmacy infusions and lotions, eliminating the need for self-preparation.
These grits contain the following elements:
- Essential oils (sage, mint, lemon balm, aloe, tea tree).
- analgesics for pain relief.
- irritants (pepper, mustard).
- Antiseptic (alcohol, menthol).
Apply according to the attached instructions.
Folk remedies and recipes
Recipes for folk remedies in the treatment of cervical osteochondrosis have long been known for their effectiveness and simplicity. How and how to treat cervical osteochondrosis at home - these are the most famous and effective methods of traditional medicine in patients with pathology of the musculoskeletal system, in particular, osteochondrosis of the cervical spine.
Herbs for the treatment of osteochondrosis at home are the most popular among the population. Medicines are available in every pharmacy in town.
The application has no major consequences and repeated treatment sequences with a slight interruption are possible. Age restrictions are also conditional (admission is allowed for children without contraindications).
You should know that it is not recommended to use all infusions, lotions and compresses while hot. The reason for this is that heating the affected area can provoke the outbreak of a diffuse purulent infection (phlegmon, abscess), especially if microscopic damage has occurred in that area. Hot substances have a negative effect on people with high blood pressure related to osteochondrosis.
This treatment option uses the root of this plant (you can prepare it yourself or buy it from pharmacies).
root or 2 teaspoons of dry matter pour 1 cup of boiling water. Insist for 24 hours, then moisten the gauze and apply it to the collar area. The duration of treatment is 7 days.
The needles have distinctive browning properties. There are several ways to use it:
- In fortification baths. Pour 1 liter of boiling water over several pine legs and let rest for 2 hours. Then pour the resulting solution into a bath at a temperature of 38 ° C. The bath time is 30 minutes. Course 7 days.
- In infusions. Pour 2 teaspoons of dry matter with 70% alcohol solution and leave for 3 days. Rub the affected area twice a day. The completion time is 14 days.
- Let the fir legs boil for 5 minutes. Strain the resulting broth and rub for 20 minutes.
Has mild anti-inflammatory properties. Improves the metabolic processes in the tissue. Use cases:
- Take 2-3 teaspoons of dry matter and pour boiling water (300 ml). Insist for an hour and rub in the cervical area until there is a slight redness. Course 7 days.
- Pour 3 teaspoons of dandelion flowers and medicinal chamomile (1: 1) with 70% alcohol solution. Insist on 24 hours and then apply 2 times a day.
Pine bud infusion
Preparation method: Pour 2-3 tablespoons of kidneys with boiling water and apply to the affected area after cooling down completely. Course 8 days.
Compressed and Applications
Treatment of cervical osteochondrosis with folk methods includes several compresses and lotions. When using it, however, you must observe a few basic rules:
- Frequent repetitions of the course of treatment (usually 2–3). The reason is that the effectiveness of therapy in a course is extremely low.
- The effect of the treatment is stronger if you wrap a scarf / towel around the damaged area. The reason is the additional warming effect in addition to the effects of drugs.
Kerosene 50 ml, mix with 2-3 teaspoons of sunflower oil and 1-2 teaspoons of baking powder. Rub the resulting mixture into the neck collar area for 20 minutes. The course of therapy is 15 days.
The mixture is irritating and must be used with caution.
Compresses, infusions, lotions, and potatoes are the most common treatments. There are several reasons for this:
- Absence of strict contraindications (with the exception of starch allergy).
Examples of use:
- Finely grate the potatoes and strain. Shape the resulting dry mixture into a cake and apply to the affected area for 20 minutes. The course of therapy is 2 weeks.
- Boil the potatoes (3-4) in the skin. Then mash it and wrap it in a cheesecloth. Apply warm potatoes to the neck collar area for 20 minutes (avoid burns). The course of therapy is 7 days.
Radish is irritating, so the exposure time should be shortened according to the individual tolerance.
Examples for the use of radish:
- Grate the radish on a fine grater and strain it through a sieve. Apply the resulting dry mixture to the cervical spine for 10-20 minutes. The course of therapy is 2 weeks.
- Grate and strain the radishes. Mix the resulting juice with honey in a ratio of 1: 3. Pour the solution with alcohol and leave in a dark room for 3 days. Then moisten the gauze with an infusion and apply it to the affected area for 10 to 20 minutes. The course of therapy is 7 days.
Sour cream and comfrey
Comfrey has a strong astringent and anti-inflammatory effect. The root of the plant is rubbed on a fine grater and mixed with sour cream until a gruel is obtained (usually a ratio of 1: 1). On the cervix for 2 minutes and a course of 7 days.
Recipes with honey
Honey has an almost immense list of useful properties:
The only contraindications are allergic reactions or individual intolerances.
Most popular honey recipes:
- Pure honey. Rub honey (50-100 g) into the affected area for 20 minutes. The course of therapy is 15 days.
- Mix 50 g of honey and 2 teaspoons of mustard and rub the creamy mixture into your throat for 20 to 30 minutes. The course of therapy is 2 weeks.
- Mix honey (20–40 mg), aloe juice (5 ml) and tea tree oil (2–4 drops). Stir well and apply for 20 minutes. The course of therapy is 9 days.
Treatment of cervical osteochondrosis is possible at home by rubbing the affected area with infusions and decoctions.
This method is based on two mechanisms:
- mechanical pressure;
- medicinal effects of herbs.
mother and stepmother
Both flowers and plant stems can be used when preparing the infusion. When cooking, pour 70% alcohol and leave in a dark room for 4 weeks. After that, strain the solution through a cheesecloth and store in a glass container out of the reach of children.
Method of application: Rub into the affected area with light massage movements twice a day for 10-15 minutes. The course of therapy is 2 weeks.
Horseradish and Elderberry
Horseradish and elder can be used individually or in combination. The combined treatment is shown below.
Preparation method: Pour boiling water (1 cup) over the horseradish leaves and elderberries (with leaves) separately. Insist during the day. Then strain both solutions and mix in a ratio of 1: 1. Rub the cervical spine and adjacent area for 10 minutes once a day. The course of therapy is 7 days.
Ointment forms of drugs quickly relieve pain in cervical osteochondrosis.
The effectiveness is reduced if this form of treatment is used exclusively.
Mix egg whites (2-3) with butter in a ratio of 1: 2 until a creamy paste is formed. Apply to the joint area for 30 minutes once a day and wrap it with a terry towel.
It has a pronounced anti-inflammatory effect. There are several ways to use ginger:
- Pour 2-3 plant roots with olive oil and leave for 24 hours. Lubricate the neck with the resulting mixture once a day at night. The course of therapy is 2 weeks.
- Grind the ginger root, add nutmeg and linseed oil. Cover the resulting porridge mixture with a towel and leave in a dark room for 8 hours. Rub into the joint for 20 minutes for 7 days.
Egg and mustard
Protein is rich in protein, and mustard has a pronounced irritant effect (promotes local microcirculation) - these are the main reasons for using these components in the treatment of osteochondrosis.
Method of preparation: mix the protein from 2 eggs and 1-1, 5 tbsp. l. Mix tablespoons of mustard until creamy. Apply to the affected area for 10-15 minutes. Course 7 days.
Mustard can cause severe local tissue irritation. With severe pain syndrome, the procedure is not recommended.
Heating with ozokerite
Ozokerite is a naturally occurring wax. Often this procedure is carried out in sanatoriums together with a paraffin heat treatment.
Type of application: The wax is heated in a special container until it becomes liquid. Then it is carefully poured into a container with sides (a baking sheet can be used) and wait for it to cool to a temperature of 50 ° C. Then the resulting mass is separated from the container and applied to the affected area for local heating of the tissue.
Monitor the temperature of the wax carefully and avoid scalding.
Prevention of exacerbations
Recommendations for the treatment of cervical osteochondrosis are well known as they apply to all rheumatological diseases.
To effectively prevent the development of the disease, it is recommended to follow some simple but useful tips:
- physical activity (moderate);
- healthy diet (moderate salt intake);
- the right footwear (suitable size, heel 4–6 cm, cushioning insoles).
Compliance with these rules is a guarantee for the health of the spine!