Back pain is an uncomfortable symptom of some diseases that can be traced back to muscle tissue overexertion and other causes. It occurs when the structures of the spine, nerve tissue or skin change. Painful sensations arise when some internal organs fail. Depending on the location of the pain, it can be assumed which part of the body is damaged. If the symptom has spread to both sides of the back region and there are symptoms at the same time, you should contact a medical facility. Doctors will diagnose, determine the cause of the symptom, and eliminate pain.
Causes of back pain
About 80% of the population complain of back pain, the syndrome more often develops as the disease progresses. The main causes of back pain are injuries to the spine:
- Osteomyelitis, characterized by damage to the bone marrow;
- tumors of a malignant nature, which are manifested in the form of lower back pain;
- intervertebral hernia;
- displacement of the intervertebral discs;
- spinal fractures;
- osteochondrosis and stenosis of the spinal canals;
- chronic muscle pain;
- Damage to the cartilage tissue.
There are reasons for this symptom that are not related to diseases of the spine.
- bleeding in the pelvic area;
- compression of the nerve roots in the chest, which causes pain when inhaled;
- large volume of blood cells in the retroperitoneal area;
- ulcerative focus, characterized by pain in the shoulder blades;
- disorders of the renal system;
- diseases of the gastrointestinal tract that cause unilateral pain;
- diseases of a gynecological nature, pain are given to the lumbar muscles of the back;
- neoplasms in the lung area;
- infectious diseases of the internal organs;
- diseases of the heart and blood vessels;
- tartar formation in the kidney system;
- joint inflammation;
- Dysfunction of organs in the abdominal area.
Types of back pain
Depending on the type of painful sensations, the causes of pain are determined. There are different types of pain:
Shoot back pain
- Pinching of the nerve process, displacement of the intervertebral disc;
- Physical injuries after a fall require surgical intervention.
- diseases of the internal organs;
- Deformities of the vertebrae.
Shooting acute pain requires medical attention. It is not possible to make an accurate diagnosis yourself.
Stinging back pain
Painful sensations develop in the lumbar region. Causes of dagger pain:
- Spasm of the piriform muscle tissue;
- third trimester of child birth;
- Inflammatory process with hypothermia.
Withdraw back pain
Develops in the lumbar spine when exposed to the following factors:
- osteochondrosis of the lumbar spine;
- intense physical activity;
- to remain in an uncomfortable position for a long time;
- old back injury.
Back pain after training
Developed by professional athletes due to an overload of muscle tissue. If the spine hurts after exercise, then you need to give the body rest and relax the muscles.
To determine the location of the lesion and determine the cause of the pain, contact the doctor
runs a series of diagnostic tests. The anamnesis is taken from the patient, the duration of the development of painful sensations, the intensity of which is taken into account. The specialist palpates the back. The patient is instructed to donate blood and urine. You'll need to get x-rays, computed tomography, and MRIs. Contrast radiography is used if necessary. After receiving the results, the doctor draws up a course of treatment.
As a rule, clinics use the following diagnostic methods:
- MRI (magnetic resonance imaging)
- Examination (comprehensive examination of the body)
- Computer-assisted electroencephalography
- Computer spine topography
- Duplex scan
- Ultrasound (ultrasound)
- CT (computed tomography)
Which doctor you should contact
If you are concerned about chronic pain, contact an orthopedic surgeon. These are most likely caused by musculoskeletal disorders. If the pain is severe, make an appointment with a neurologist in the form of a lumbago.
Treatment of back pain
If you experience severe pain, you may apply a cold compress until the doctors arrive. An antispasmodic medicine is allowed to be taken to get rid of the pain. The patient must ensure rest. Prescribes drugs, physiotherapy procedures, manual therapy methods, massage procedures to cure the disease. If necessary, a medical corset is used, which reduces the load on the muscle tissues of the lumbar and spine.
In severe cases and certain diseases, such as a malignant neoplasm, a surgical method of treatment is used.
In modern medical centers, the following methods are used to treat back pain:
- Manual therapy
- Massage therapy
- Orthopedic insoles
- Ozone therapy
- More about the service
- SVF joint therapy
- Pediatric orthopedic clinical examination
If a condition that causes back pain is left untreated, a number of complications are possible:
- it becomes more difficult for the patient to walk due to acute pain;
- the function of the heart system, the lungs and the organs of the gastrointestinal tract is disturbed;
- Migraines develop, tinnitus and bouts of dizziness occur;
- disrupted the function of the organs in the pelvic area;
- Paralysis of the upper and lower extremities is possible.
Prevention of back pain
To avoid back pain, follow these guidelines:
- timely treatment of diseases of the renal system, gastrointestinal tract, spine and lungs;
- Avoid strenuous physical activity.
- controls the posture position;
- sleep in the correct posture, bed linen must be of high quality;
- Avoid sudden back movements.
- undergo preventive examinations by doctors in good time;
- control body weight;
- stop drinking and smoking alcoholic beverages, stop using drugs;
- eat a balanced diet;
- If you work from a seated position or spend time at the computer, do back exercises once an hour.
- participates in chondroprotectors every 6 months.